Leituras de Maio / May reads

May was not as good a reading month as April, not because of the numbers (I read 6 books against 7 in April, which is pretty good for me) but because of the satisfaction those books gave me (something far more important than the number). So without delay, here they go:

Angels & Demons | Dan Bown: This was my palate cleanser after reading Janet Murray's  remarkable Strong-minded Women (see my last monthly readings post for more details). I was really disappointed with the last fifth of the book. It started as a really well crafted thriller, with a lot of historical references to real places and facts (mixed with some made-up information, but that's OK, since this is fiction, after all) and I had a good time googling Roman architecture and art pieces as I went reading. Although "movie-script writing" is not what I usually look for in a book, I once in a while like to read one of these and was enjoying Angels and Demons more than I did The Da Vinci Code, until *attention, spoiler ahead* things just got too absurd, with Langdon free falling from the helicopter and not just surviving, but actually getting rescued by doctors who happened to be nearby and being on its feet after a few moments, the camerlengo incinerating himself, on St. Peters basilica balcony, and so on. A real pity the way a nice book can be nearly spoiled...

Metafisica de los Tubos | Amélie Nothomb: I read the Portuguese edition, but the link I'm adding is from the Spanish/English edition. The original is in French, as the author has a double Belgian/Japanese nationality.
This book somehow reminded me of Beauvoir's Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter. Too detailed and too philosophical to be believable as true memoirs of such a young age, but undoubtedly fun, interesting and original. In this case, I liked the added bonus of the story unfolding in Japan and because of that giving us a glimpse of this truly foreign country.

Cão Velho entre Flores | Baptista Bastos: I could not find an English translation of this book, or any other book from this author, so the link I added above is for the Portuguese edition that I have read. This is a book that manages to take us back in time, back to when Lisbon was quite different from what it is today. I did not live in those times (the 1930ies) but I do have memories that relate to the slower pace of life and the intertwining of urban and rural areas. This was what I liked the most about this book together with the very good writing. Even so, it did not fully come up to my expectations.


The Elephant's Journey | José Saramago: This book was the major disappointment of the month. It is practically the opposite of everything I liked in the previous works I've read from Saramago: the simplicity of the writing was replaced by a verbose narrative, the story was shallow and mostly uninteresting. The text was full of clichés and I several times had the feeling that things were written just to fill in more pages. A real letdown.



10 Habits for Inspiration | Koosje Koene: Going through an art slump, as I usually do between the end of autumn and the beginning of spring, this small e-book that can be downloaded for free at Koosje's website was just what I needed to feel inspired to start sketching again. Undoubtedly the best book I read this month. Fourteen pages of pure inspiration.

Gente Singular, Manuel Teixeira Gomes: This is a Portuguese classic that I've been wanting to read for a long time and I finally got around to during one of my recent visits to the library. Again, no English translation to be found. Anyway, I was not so happy with it. On one hand, short stories are not my forte and on the other, I found these a bit inconsistent. Gente Singular was precisely the one I liked best.




* * *
O mês de Maio não foi tão bom como Abril, não em termos do nº de livros lidos, que foi semelhante (6 este mês, 7 no anterior), mas no que diz respeito à satisfação que me proporcionaram, que, afinal de contas, é o mais importante. Mas vamos à lista:

Anjos e Demónios | Dan Bown: li este livro porque precisava de uma leitura "leve" a seguir ao impressionante e denso Strong-minded Women (do qual falei no meu último post dedicado às leituras mensais). No início tudo foi bem. Dan Brown é um excelente contador de histórias de suspense, bem trabalhadas, com imensos detalhes históricos misturados com ficção. Passei um bom bocado a fazer pesquisas acerca da arquitectura e arte romanas. Mas perto do final, que desapontamento... uma sequência de acontecimentos completamente absurdos quase conseguiu obliterar a boa experiência inicial. Que pena...


A Metafísica dos Tubos | Amélie Nothomb: Este livro fez-me de alguma forma lembrar as "Memórias de uma menina bem comportada", da Simone de Beauvoir. Demasiadamente detalhadas e filosóficas para serem verdadeiras memórias de uma idade tão tenra, mas indiscutivelmente divertidas, interessantes e originais. Neste caso, com o bónus adicional de serem passadas no Japão, e por isso conterem um cheirinho desse país tão diferente.


Cão Velho entre Flores | Baptista Bastos: Este livro consegue transportar-nos ao tempo em que Lisboa era diferente, a vida mais lenta e os campos, azinhagas e hortas mais próximos da cidade, misturando-se com ela. Tenho uma ideia vaga de ser miúda e das avenidas novas, dos olivais e do parque expo serem zonas em que as casas e os prédios se cruzavam com campos e baldios e esta história, embora bastante mais recuada no tempo, trouxe-me essas memórias. Gostei, mas não me encheu as medidas.



A Viagem do Elefante | José Saramago: Que decepção, este elefante. Um texto palavroso - quando aquilo que eu gosto/gostava no Saramago, era a simplicidade da escrita - uns apartes disparatados, supostamente engraçados, mas sem graça nenhuma, um "puta" metido a despropósito, dá mesmo ideia que foi só para parecer irreverente, porque não tem relação nenhuma com a linguagem usada no resto do livro. Fiquei com a sensação que faltavam pontos de interesse para desenvolver a história e o texto foi-se perdendo em apartes e descrições supérfluos, só mesmo para encher papel. Enfim, tendo em conta o que já li do Saramago, estava à espera de muito mais.

10 Habits for Inspiration | Koosje Koene: a atravessar uma fase de falta de vontade de desenhar, como normalmente me acontece entre o final do Outono e o início da Primavera, este livro foi precisamente aquilo de que precisava. São 14 páginas de pura inspiração, que podem ser descarregadas gratuitamente do site da autora.

Gente Singular, Manuel Teixeira Gomes: Fiquei um bocado desapontada com este livro, especialmente porque tinha expectativas relativamente altas depois de ler esta entrevista. Mas a verdade é que achei a maioria dos contos um bocado inconsequentes; aquele de que gostei mais foi, precisamente, o Gente Singular, que dá o nome ao livro. A edição que li é antiga e não corresponde ao link que aqui incluo, pois não consegui encontrá-lo disponível, embora seja provável que se encontre em alfarrabistas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leituras de Junho / June reads

Dia Internacional da Mulher / International Women's Day

Bedtime stories - to read or not to read them to your children / Histórias antes de deitar - sim ou não?