Bedtime stories - to read or not to read them to your children / Histórias antes de deitar - sim ou não?

I have two children, aged 10 and 13 and I have been reading to them since they were babies. They have grown up watching me read whenever I have a spare moment: during breakfast, while waiting on lines, in the bathroom, while cooking (yes, it is possible and no, people don't usually complain about my cooking abilities...).
My house is filled with books, in fact, there isn't a single room in the house where you can't find at least a few. I've been taking the children to the library since they were toddlers. They were both homeschooled until fourth grade and learned to read by themselves. Even after they became proficient readers, I never stopped reading to them whenever they asked me. All this to say that they should both love to read, right? Well, not really. While the youngest one loves books to the point that I sometimes have to take them from her so that she can finish breakfast in time not to miss school, the oldest one is completely different. Months can go by without her opening a book unless she has to because of some school assignment. And even though every once in a while she gets really engrossed in a special book, she is usually reluctant to take my occasional reading suggestions. More often than not, I'll hear a disheartened "you know I don't like reading..." Being a book junkie myself, you can imagine how I feel... I was once so desperate that I started playing with the idea of putting an end to bedtime stories... After all, she is too grown up to be read to - I thought, trying to convince myself. She can read by herself if she wants to, and if she doesn't, she will soon miss it and then she will finally start reading. Fortunately, I have never put this sad idea into practice. Apart from being unfair to the youngest one, I don't think it would have succeeded. And the truth is that I love reading to my children! It gives me a chance to slow down and read something, even in those busiest days when I did not have the chance to open a book of my own during the whole day. Plus, re-reading some of my childhood favourites thirty years later, having the chance to notice all kinds of details that went completely unnoticed when I first read them as a child and still feeling the same wonder, is a great experience. And I know that if my children watch me having fun reading, then they will believe it is possible to have fun with books. If and when they want to. And that is the most important thing, right?

*  *  *

Tenho duas filhas, de 10 e 13 anos de idade, às quais leio desde bebés. Elas têm crescido a ver-me ler sempre que arranjo um momento livre: ao pequeno almoço, em salas de espera, na casa de banho, enquanto cozinho (sim, é possível, e não, não costumo receber muitas queixas...)
A minha casa está cheia de livros, na verdade, não há nenhuma divisão onde não se possam encontrar pelo menos aluguns. Somos clientes da biblioteca municipal desde que as duas começaram a dar os primeiros passos. Ambas aprenderam a ler sozinhas e mesmo depois de se terem tornado leitoras autónomas, nunca deixei de lhes contar histórias, sempre que me pediam. Tudo isto para dizer que deveriam ambas adorar ler, não? Pois, nem por isso... Se a mais pequena gosta de ler ao ponto de eu ter que lhe arrancar os livros das mãos para que não chegue atrasada à escola, já a mais velha pode passar meses sem abrir um, a menos que a isso seja obrigada por alguma tarefa escolar. E mesmo que, muito raramente, se deixe encantar por algum livro em particular, é sempre com relutância que acolhe as minhas ocasionais sugestões de leitura. O mais certo é responder-me com um desanimado "mas, mamã, tu sabes que eu não gosto de ler..." Sendo eu uma livrólica assumida, podem imaginar como me sinto. Uma vez, estava tão desesperada, que comecei a dar voltas à ideia de acabar com as leituras à hora de deitar... Afinal, ela já nem tem idade para que lhe leiam - pensava eu, a tentar convencer-me a mim própria - se quiser, pode ler sozinha, e se não quiser, mais cedo ou mais tarde vai sentir a falta da história à hora de deitar e começar a ler. Felizmente, nunca cheguei a pôr esta triste ideia em prática. Para além de ser injusto para a mais nova, não creio que alguma vez pudesse ter tido sucesso. Ainda por cima, eu gosto mesmo de ler às minhas filhas antes de deitar! É uma oportunidade para desacelerar e ler alguma coisa, mesmo naqueles dias tão atarefados em que não consegui ler uma única página de um livro meu. Reler, trinta anos mais tarde, alguns dos meus livros preferidos da infância, reparando em pormenores que antes me passaram completamente despercebidos, mas continuando a deslumbrar-me com as histórias, tem sido uma óptima experiência. E eu sei que se as minhas filhas virem que eu me divirto com os livros, então elas acreditarão que os livros têm a capacidade de nos divertir. Se, e quando elas quiserem. E isso, afinal, é o mais importante, não?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leituras de Junho / June reads

Book Dreams / Sonhos com Livros