Book Dreams / Sonhos com Livros

Written World by Rob Gonsalves
I was talking with my daughter the other day about dreams and nightmares and at some point we started discussing our favourite dreams - you know, those that leave you disappointed when you wake up because they were being so good. It was then that I realised that some of my best dreams are related with books.
There is this one where I am in downtown Lisbon, wandering inside one of those ancient buildings that used to host big stores selling textiles, dress fabrics and knitting yarns, where I often went with my mother when I was a child. The only difference is that in my dream, the fabrics, yarns and all the rest have been replaced by... books! Endless wooden shelves filled with books disposed in a sort of labyrinth, that leave me in complete awe! I start browsing through the titles and find books I have read long ago, books that I used to love but at some point have lost, or others that I have been longing to read for years. There is this other dream where I am inside a bookshop and suddenly find a corner with shelves filled with some of my favourite comic books (Lucky Luke, in the most recent one, probably because I have been re-reading a few, as my children are developing an interest in them). The great thing is, I will find a whole collection of new adventures that I had not read before and didn't even know had been published (because, well, they haven't...).
The weird thing is that although I am always reading something (except from the occasional reading slump), I never dream about the exact books I am reading at the time. Which is a pity because sometimes, it would be so damn good to actually be part of one of those great stories.
Anyway, until I wait for my chance to sail the oceans with Corto Maltese or go for a walk with the Bennet sisters in the English countryside of Austen's Pride and Prejudice, I am happy with these visits to imaginary bookworlds.
So... do you often dream of books too, or am I the only weirdo here?

*  *  *

Um destes dias estava a conversar com uma das minhas filhas acerca de sonhos e pesadelos, e a certa altura, começámos a falar sobre os nossos sonhos favoritos - aqueles que nos deixam desapontados quando acordamos, porque estavam a ser tão bons! Nessa altura, dei-me conta que alguns dos meus melhores sonhos estão relacionados com livros.
Há um em que estou na baixa de Lisboa, num daqueles edifícios pombalinos que antigamente albergavam lojas de tecidos e lãs, onde, em criança, costumava ir com a minha mãe. Tinham os tectos altos, soalhos de madeira e longos balcões, também de madeira, onde empregados solícitos mediam os tecidos e embrulhavam as compras. A única diferença é que no meu sonho, os panos e a lãs são substituídos por... livros! Estantes sem fim sucedem-se umas às outras, dispostas como uma espécie de labirinto, que me deixa fascinada. Começo a percorrer os títulos e encontro livros que li há muitos anos atrás, outros de que gostava muito mas que, com o passar dos anos, acabei por perder, ou ainda livros que há muito tenho vontade de ler. Num outro sonho, encontro-me numa livraria e de repente descubro um canto forrado de prateleiras repletas de álbuns de banda desenhada (no mais recente eram do Lucky Luke, provavelmente porque tenho andado a reler alguns). Mas a parte boa chega quando descubro uma série de volumes que nunca tinha lido, nem sequer sabia que tinham sido publicados (porque, claro está, nunca o foram...).
Estranhamente, embora esteja quase sempre a ler alguma coisa, nunca me aconteceu sonhar com o livro que ando a ler num dado momento. O que é uma pena, porque às vezes, seria tão bom poder fazer parte de uma daquelas histórias...
Seja como for, enquanto espero pela minha oportunidade de cruzar os mares com o Corto Maltese, ou dar um passeio pelo campo com as irmãs Bennet na Inglaterra rural do Orgulho e Preconceito, contento-me com estas visitas a mundos livrescos imaginários.
E por aí, há mais alguém a sonhar com livros, ou sou eu a única esquisita?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leituras de Junho / June reads

Dia Internacional da Mulher / International Women's Day

Bedtime stories - to read or not to read them to your children / Histórias antes de deitar - sim ou não?